5 Tips to Avoid Weight Gain During Quarantine:
1. Workout in the morning: Exercising first thing in the morning can help ensure the workout gets done because there is less time to convince yourself not to do it; if one exercises in the evening, they have the whole day to come up with excuses to not complete the workout (to tired being the most common). Working out in the morning is good for the metabolism! After exercise, your metabolism speeds up. Therefore, if you exercise in the morning your body will burn more calories throughout the day; one will also benefit from a release of endorphins which will help improve mood! Some people can exercise first thing in the morning without eating, others will require some fuel. If you are required to eat before a workout, eat something small and easy to digest. Typically, carbohydrates are recommended for fuel before a workout because the sugars fuel the workout. Some snack ideas include apples, bananas, sweet potato, oatmeal, pineapple, dried fruit and fruit and yogurt smoothies. Protein is recommended after a workout to help improve muscle synthesis while also promoting the repair and recovery of muscles! Some examples of snacks include a banana or apple with a tbsp of natural peanut butter, a handful of nuts, humus with pita and veggies, oatmeal, smoothies with protein, and scrambled egg whites. Remember to stay hydrated!
2. Keep snacks out of reach: I don’t mean don’t snack, I just mean keep your snacks on the other side of the room. This way every time you want a bite you will have to get up and walk to it (you could spice it up by doing lunges, side shuffles, high knees, etc.) This will help you burn more calories, and will also help avoid overeating. The brain takes about 20 minutes to process that the stomach is full; by having to get up for each bite there will be more time between bites which will allows the brain thee time to process that it is full; This should cause one to eat less vs having what you are eating in a bowl next to you on the couch!
3. Try not to eat 3 hours before going to bed: When one sleeps, the bodies metabolism slows down as the body doesn’t need the same amount of fuel to function as it needs throughout the day. When the metabolism slows down, food takes longer to digest; this could mean one’s food could still be digesting when awaking in the morning. If this occurs, you could wake up feeling bloated and backed up; which could make one less likely to exercise in the morning. In general, one will be more committed to sticking with a routine if all barriers that could cause excuses are removed. It is not healthy to go to bed starving either as the metabolism slows down more when the body goes into starvation mode. If one does require a snack around time to hit the sack, eat something light like an apple, carrots, 1 splice of whole grain toast with light cream cheese and cucumber.
4. Set goals to do everyday: Goal setting plays an important role in fitness and weight loss. If one does not set goals, one does not know what they are working towards and are more likely to fall off track! Make goals that are attainable and achievable in the timeline you have set. Try to set goals that will get you motivated to stay away from the couch and keep you moving. Some examples could be to clean the house, go for 1-hour walk, do 100 pushups (could be spread out throughout a day depending on fitness level), jump rope for 10 minutes total, throw some music on and dance! Essentially, the goal is to keep the mind busy; this will not only increase the number of calories burned in a day, but it will also help to avoid eating out of boredom!
5. Stay Hydrated: The body can’t tell hunger from thirst. Therefore, if one gets hungry, drink a glass of water and wait 20 minutes. If the body was thirsty the hunger sensation will go away. If the hunger is still there, then one is truly hungry. Try to drink mostly water and teas as they are low in calories and give your body the antioxidants it needs. Try to stay away from juices and they are full of sugar; if you do drink juices then try making them on your own at home so you can avoid the added sugar.
By following these 5 tips surviving quarantine while attaining and maintaining healthy habits should be a jiffy! Remember, in order to achieve weight loss, a calorie deficit must be met. Over eating and eating when bored will be the enemy in this situation so move when you can!
Follow me on Instagram for more tips and tricks to keep you motivated! www.instagram.com/bod_ehbyolivia